Writing • Editing • Copy Editing
Beth Pollock Bruch has more than 20 years experience as a professional writer, editor, and copy editor, writing on-staff for both print and online publications, as well as helping a variety of clients with their writing and editing needs on a freelance basis.
Beth's articles have been published in numerous magazines and newspapers, including: Saveur, Chef, Fancy Food & Culinary Products, Restaurants & Institutions, Pet Quarterly, Escape, International Market News, San Jose Mercury News, The Oakland Tribune, The Tampa Tribune, and The San Francisco Chronicle.
Writing Samples: Culinary Magazines
• "Tasting the Fire" ... Tips from Chef Rick Bayless on tasting hot sauces and salsas.
• "Mac & Cheese for the Soul" ... Chef Todd English on simplicity and "Macaroni Simoni."
• "Toasting a New 'Couscous'" ... The surprising story of Israeli couscous.
• "A Gentle Japanese Giant" ... Daikon, an Asian staple, has taken root in U.S. kitchens.
• "Shades of Sweet Gold" ... A focus on varietal honeys.
• "Barista Secrets" ... America's top baristas share their espresso expertise.
• "Shortbread, Pure and Simple?" ... Jim Walker himself talks shortbread, classic and new.
• "Class in a Glass" ... The allure of ice-cream drinks, all grown up.
• "Simple Pleasures" ... The humble yet powerful cookie gains ground on upscale menus.
Writing Samples: Newspaper Feature Stories
• "Seeing Glory" ... A hang-gliding mecca hidden in the orange groves of Central Florida.
• "Race for Space" ... The Bay-area housing crunch. (San Francisco Chronicle)
• "Taiko Drumming Strikes Emeryville" ... A local group's take on ancient Japanese
drumming. (San Francisco Chronicle)
• "Cast-off Carpet" ... Carpet as ... fuel? What do to about the little-known but
ever-expanding and tricky carpet problem. (San Jose Mercury News)
Editing & Copy Editing
Need to make sure your writing is effective, smooth, and error-free? Want a professional eye on your article, brochure, resume, web page, or newsletter? Maybe you'd like a final check on grammar, spelling, and punctuation, or help with your piece's structure, tone, or message?
Contact us for help with:
Clients/publications include: The Team, Pet Quarterly, entegra 360, Giftware News, Decorating Ideas, West, Country Business, Dairy Marketing Institute, Idaho Potato Board, Great Books Chicago, Swiss e-bank, Caffeine Communications.
• meeting deadlines
• accommodating various editorial house styles
(professional experience in both AP and Chicago styles)
• working remotely online, using the "Track Changes" tool in Microsoft Word
and the "Comment & Markup" tool in Adobe Reader, so you can review each change
before accepting it.
Traditional editing on paper is also available.