Writing • Editing • Copy Editing
Elizabeth Pollock Bruch has spent 20 years as a professional writer, editor, and copy editor, with experience writing on-staff for both print and online publications, as well as helping a variety of clients with their writing and editing needs on a freelance basis.
Culinary topics are her specialty. She currently works as a freelance food writer, copy editor and proofreader. Previous jobs include Managing Editor of Chef magazine, Associate Editor of Fancy Food & Culinary Products magazine and Features Editor for ethnicgrocer.com.
Elizabeth's articles on the food, the environment, the arts, business, cuisine, travel, and other topics have been published in numerous magazines and newspapers, including: Saveur magazine, Restaurants & Institutions magazine, Escape magazine, International Market News magazine, San Jose Mercury News, The Oakland Tribune, The Tampa Tribune, and The San Francisco Chronicle.
Writing Samples: Magazines
• "Tasting the Fire" ... Tips from Chef Rick Bayless on tasting hot sauces and salsas.
• "Mac & Cheese for the Soul" ... Chef Todd English on simplicity and "Macaroni Simoni."
• "Toasting a New 'Couscous'" ... The surprising story of Israeli couscous.
• "A Gentle Japanese Giant" ... Daikon, an Asian staple, has taken root in U.S. kitchens.
• "Shades of Sweet Gold" ... A focus on varietal honeys.
• "Barista Secrets" ... America's top baristas share their espresso expertise.
• "Shortbread, Pure and Simple?" ... Jim Walker himself talks shortbread, classic and new.
• "Class in a Glass" ... The allure of ice-cream drinks, all grown up.
• "Simple Pleasures" ... The humble yet powerful cookie gains ground on upscale menus.
Writing Samples: Newspaper Feature Stories
• "Seeing Glory" ... A hang-gliding mecca hidden in the orange groves of Central Florida.
• "Race for Space" ... The Bay-area housing crunch. (San Francisco Chronicle)
• "Taiko Drumming Strikes Emeryville" ... A local group's take on ancient Japanese
drumming. (San Francisco Chronicle)
• "Cast-off Carpet" ... Carpet as ... fuel? What do to about the little-known but
ever-expanding and tricky carpet problem. (San Jose Mercury News)
EDITING & COPY EDITING
Do you need to make sure your writing is effective, smooth, and error-free? Do you want to add a professional touch to a brochure, manual, article, story, resume, invitation, web page, newsletter ... or any other piece of written material? Or maybe you'd like a final check on grammar, spelling, and punctuation ... or help with your piece's structure, tone, or message?
Freelance and on-staff professional experience includes:
• planning, assigning, writing, editing and copy editing stories from raw text
to the final "blue-line" stage for monthly national magazines including:
Chef magazine, Fancy Food magazine, Giftware News magazine, Decorating Ideas
magazine, West magazine, and Country Business magazine.
• proofing articles for foodservice clients including the Dairy Marketing Institute
and the Idaho Potato Board.
• copy editing marketing materials for Great Books Chicago's annual event.
• editing/rewriting the English version of a Swiss e-bank's website.
• meeting deadlines
• accommodating various editorial house styles
(professional experience in both AP and Chicago styles)
• working remotely online, using the "Track Changes" tool in Microsoft Word
(or the "Comment & Markup" tool in Adobe Reader), so you can review each change
before accepting it.
Traditional editing on paper is also available, of course.
Do you have copy editing needs? Send an e-mail to email@example.com